#91 Operating Rules for Lift Trucks
Operating Rules Whenever Elevating Personnel
(j) When elevating personnel, the lift truck operator shall:
- Use a securely attached safety work platform.
- Make sure the lifting mechanism is operating smoothly.
- Make sure that the mast is vertical if the lift truck is equipped with a mast. The mast shall not be tilted forward or rearward while persons are elevated.
- Place the truck in neutral and set the parking brake when the truck is stationery.
- Lift and lower personnel smoothly and with caution.
- Make sure the path of the work platform travel is clear of hazards such as projections, overhead obstructions, and electrical wires.
- Never travel with personnel on the work platform other than to make minor movements for final positioning of the platform.
Exception: Minor movement of a variable reach (boom type) rough-terrain lift truck is permitted for construction operations when positioning the platform along a straight line where the path of movement is free from excavations, holes, obstructions and debris.