#SCE0617-27 Stabilized Construction Entrances and Exits

BMP Factsheet TC-1

A stabilized construction entrance/exit is defined as a point of entrance/exit to a construction site that is stabilized to reduce the tracking of dirt and mud onto public roads by construction vehicles. Stabilizing construction entrances/exits is essential to reduce trackout, and in turn, the need for street sweeping and other sediment control measures.

Entrance/exit stabilization is to be used for all construction sites where sediment can be tracked onto public roads, for sites adjacent to bodies of water, where poor soil is encountered, and where dust is a problem during dry weather conditions.

A stabilized construction entrance consists of a pad of aggregate underlain with filter cloth. Entrances/exits are to be constructed on level ground, and be 50 feet long and at least 10 feet wide. Aggregate should consist of 3-6” diameter stones, and be at least 12” deep. Rumble plates should be installed in the stabilized access point.

Because stabilized entrances/exits are only moderately effective, this particular BMP should be used in conjunction with street sweeping, and should undergo routine inspection and maintenance.

Ad-hoc driveways within the construction site should also have BMPs in place to make them stabilized access points. An ad-hoc driveway is any point that vehicles are traveling through a transition from soil to a street, such as a housing lot onto a street that has already been paved within a site. These approaches should also be stabilized to prevent trackout onto site streets. Stabilization can be achieved by installing rumble plates with aggregate or stabilized driveway.